Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

PROUD Grady

I saw a post on reading non-illustrated books to your children on one of the montessori blogs I read.  We have been reading magic tree house series books to Grady for about a year now and he loves them.   When I read that she was reading her 5 and 2yr old Harry Potter I thought that Grady would love the story and since Keith & I had never read the story we were excited also.  
Grady did a great job listening to the story and remembering what happened.  Since Keith and I alternate which child we read to and put to sleep every night, if it was not our night to read to Grady we would read the chapter we missed after we put the boys to bed.  We started the book in October and finished the week before Thanksgiving.  He did have a couple days or weeks that he would not choose Harry Potter for his bed-time story.  Then we told him that his reward for listening to the whole book was that he would be able to watch the movie and then he got really motivated to read it.  Now we just to find the next chapter book to read to him, any ideas???



I also wanted to say that Grady (4.5yrs old) learned how to tie his shoes last week.  

At the beginning of school this year Grady kept asking me to get him strap (Velcro) shoes because a lot of kids at school had them.  He has never owned a pair of velcro shoes and now it just make so happy to see him tying him shoe because if he had velcro shoes we would have not started working with him. Grady and Keith have been working on it for a while now and he was tying the first knot, but the rest of it had not clicked yet.  Thanksgiving week Keith (took the week off from work) and Grady worked on it every morning, which is something I don't have time to do everyday.    We can now say that we have proud Shoe-Tier.   He tied his shoe on his own everyday this week.   He is still working on the double knot and really wants to be able to do it.  

2 comments:

  1. Yay Grady! That's great news.

    Books that I'd recommend:
    The Narnia Series!! Start with the first book (The Magician's Nephew) and work your way through all of them. They are MUCH shorter than Harry Potter, so it will be quick going through each book (and there are several movies too!).

    I also loved the Golden Compass. It might be more "grown up" but if he listened and understood Harry Potter it should not be bad. In fact, the whole His Dark Materials series (Golden Compass is book 1 of 3) is so much fun. (Bonus - there's a movie at the end of Golden Compass too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Grady! I've heard that books 1-3 in the Harry Potter series is ok for children. After that, it gets a bit scary. I haven't watched the movies again to see which ones are appropriate for small children so I'm not sure about that.

    I agree with Stephanie about the Narnia Series. We haven't tried them yet, but I've heard great things. Winnie the Pooh is also a good read for a longer book.

    I'm so glad to hear that Grady had such a great time with the book. Thanks for introducing me to your blog. It's so much fun to see what you are up to in your home too! :)

    -Lori @ Montessori MOMents
    mymontessorimoments.com

    ReplyDelete