UPDATED RECIPE 2/10/2013: Hoffman King Cake
Today was the third time I made a King Cake from the recipe I adapted... and I wanted to explain and describe some steps better and give a couple tips I have learned along the way. I also changed some wording in the original recipe post.
First thing I found that a half recipe is a better sized king cake for our family. The last two times I made the king cake I have made the whole recipe and then split the dough in half after it has risen and made two cake one for us and one to give away.
As you knead the dough for this Mardi Gras cake, watch for it to begin to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl. If that doesn’t happen (because the moisture content in flour fluctuates with the humidity), add a spoonful or two more flour. For a whole recipe I used about ¼cup added one spoonful at a time and I needed more for a half batch.
The next problem I was having was finding an easy/airtight way to store the king cake. I wanted to store it in my cake server/keeper but the first time I made it to big. To make sure I make the cake the right shape and size now I trace the shape of the pan I want to store the cake in on parchment paper. Then flip the paper over and shape the dough on the parchment paper.
Do NOT half filling or icing if making a half batch.
Once the dough has risen, punch it down. Roll the dough into a 10 x 20 inch rectangle. Cut dough into three long strips with a pizza cutter. Spread the filling on each strip of dough.
Fold the strips in half covering the filling and gently stretch from both ends.
Pat dough down firmly so the dough will stick together. Press the tops of the strips together and braid the strips.
Press the ends together at the bottom. Gently stretch the braid so that it measures 20 inches again.
Shape it into a circle/oval and press the edges together. Gently lay the braided dough on a parchment lined or nonstick cookie sheet and let it rise until it doubles in size, about 30 minutes.
I make the decorative sugars before I make the icing. I use about a 1/8 cup of sugar for each color purple, green, and gold.
Don't forget to cut a slit under the cake and hide the baby. The person who gets the baby (Baby Jesus) has to bring the next King Cake.
I hope you get a chance to make a King Cake, let me know how it turns out.

Ha! I should have waited a week for you to fix all the kinks. :) I like your idea for the filling. That's much better than the original recipe's directions. Mine didn't stick together at all.
ReplyDeleteThanks, If you get any sugar on the dough they will not stick so not all of mine stick either. This time i added a heaping teaspoon of lemon zest.
ReplyDelete